The Centre for Bibliographical History is proud to announce the arrival at the University of Essex of the Library of the Bibliographical Society.
The collection is a renowned resource and will be available for consultation in the Special Collections Room. The Bibliographical Society was founded in 1892 to promote and encourage study and research in historical, analytical, descriptive and textual bibliography. Since then its scope has widened to include the making and use of manuscripts, the history of printing, publishing and illustration, the study of bookbinding, and the history of the book, as well as the history of libraries and the study of provenance, readership, and book collecting.
The Society’s library, for many years housed at Stationers’ Hall in the City of London, moved in January 2007 to Senate House, Malet Street. At Essex, the books are housed in the Albert Sloman Library. They remain physically identifiable as belonging to the Society, but available for consultation to all Essex library card holders.